Thursday, February 18, 2010

1990 Topps Frank Thomas RC NNOF Error Card

Ok, I used to be quite obsessive about baseball cards back in the day. The strange thing was that I didn't watch baseball, but love collecting the cards. I found it intriguing that people assigned values to the card based on how good the player was. In particular, I loved the 1990 Topps edition. The design was really cool. I remember tearing open the green packages to see if I was lucky enough to get someone good. I happened to get some of the best cards including Juan Gonzalez, Frank Thomas, and Ken Griffey Jr.

Then a while back, I heard that the Frank Thomas rookie card had a strange error. The name was left off the front of the card hence it was dubbed "No Name on Front" or NNOF. You can look at the picture to know what I am talking about. Anyways, apparently, there are very few of these cards floating around and even few that are graded mint condition according to PSA.

I went on Ebay one day and saw one Mint 9 and I was crazy enough to purchase it from a doctor for almost $20o0. I believe there is something like 2 to 4 of these in this condition. It's just one of those weaknesses that I have for cool stuff on Ebay. Only time will tell if I made a wise investment or not, but it seems ok because Frank Thomas just retired recently with an incredible baseball career. Here are his lifetime stats below. You be the judge.

Batting Average: .301
OPS: .974
OBP: .419
Home Runs: 521
RBI: 1,704

No comments:

Post a Comment