Friday, February 19, 2010

IWC Pilot's Watch


After Rolex watches, IWC Pilot's Watch is probably my most favorite time piece. IWC stands for International Watch Company, a watch maker that originated in Switzerland. However, the company was started by an American named Florentine Ariosto Jones. The company was founded in 1868 so it knows a thing or two about making quality time pieces. In particular, IWC watches are known for their movements.

That brings us to the IWC Pilot's Watch. In the 1900's, flying airplanes was quite hip. However, the high altitude posed a challenge to watch makers to keep their watches' time accurate.
In response, IWC put shatter resistant glass, a rotatable bezel, and anti-magnetic movements to counter the effects of flying in high altitudes.

IWC was not the only watch maker to create watches designed fro aviation, but they certainly were known for the best pilot's watches with their classic look and innovative features.

Anyways, the reason why I love this watch so much is because it has a simple yet elegant look. The watch dial in particular is simple enough so that it is very easy to tell time with. Honestly, I never even heard of IWC before seeing in the movie "Vanilla Sky" with Tom Cruise. The only thing that I do not like about this watch is that it has a leather strap. Yes, it looks fine, but replacing a $XXX strap every year or so kind of hurts the wallet. I went on Ebay to look for this watch. While there were quite a few available, I was hesitant to buy it because it seems overpriced. I do a quick check on Google's Froogle price comparison tool and I find some legitimate online watch retailers selling it for around $2,500. Then on Ebay, I find people claiming the watch sells for $4000 and they are only looking for $2,300 for a used one. Well for that price, I rather pay a couple hundred dollars more and get a new IWC Pilot's watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment