Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nintendo NES Stadium Events Cartridge


Now, I love Playstation 3 with all the cool new 3D graphics and number of games available, but there is just something about old school video game consoles like the Nintendo NES that brings back that nostalgia. I still have one of these boxes lying around and I do play with it from time to time.

Now, i came across a news article recently of how this housewife sold an old NES system for some spare cash on Ebay. It turns out that she unwittingly was selling "Stadium Events" cartridge, which is one of the rarest NES games created. There are only around 400 known copies of this game floating around. What makes this auction especially unusual was that the "Stadium Event" cartridge included the packaging box in pretty good condition. The final sale price ended up being $13,000 USD to an avid NES game collector. Talk about a great surprise.

I'm not a serious collector, but I would not mind getting a copy of this game just to see what all the fuss is all about. As soon as I go onto Ebay and search "Stadium Events", 20 listings appear with some pretty steep prices as high as $5000 USD. Isn't that strange? 5% of the supposed 400 copies suddenly appear on Ebay. I fear that some of them may be fakes. That's too steep of a price to pay if I am not certain its an authentic game. It's got bad investment written all over it. Then again, I think a lot of these games are old fads. I never read about people reselling these "rare" games for more than the paid originally. Honestly, there may not be a market after purchasing the game for so much. Maybe I should move onto Atari games. Would that be cheaper than $X,XXX?

No comments:

Post a Comment